- Ditto Landing is a Regional Recreation Destination.
- Ditto Landing is an important quality-of-life asset for the nearby neighborhoods and the city at large.
- Ditto Landing is financially self-sustaining.
The Tennessee River frontage in Huntsville has been an under-utilized asset, both in terms of adding quality of life to the community and providing economic development return. By outlining a publicly-developed and –vetted master plan, the Ditto Landing and Marina Authority can lay out a path for growth, with an eye on enhancing its core mission of providing a picturesque setting for a variety of outdoor recreation activities.
Over 200 citizens joined the BIG Picture for a public workshop on the future vision of Ditto Landing and Marina. Scores of ideas were shared, and what came out of the effort was an exhortation to “make Ditto MORE Ditto”: take what is great about our riverfront – the views, the biking and hiking, the boating – and add to it. Together, the Ditto Marina Board and the BIG Picture developed a master plan for the future of our riverfront, with the idea of making it a true recreation destination.
- To help achieve near-term facility goals, the City should provide capital and in-kind support for clearly defined and phased tasks.
- There are certain restrictions built into the enabling agreement that might need to be changed in order to fully realize the vision of the Master Plan. The City should support any reasonable legislative efforts on the part of Ditto that would help with the realization of the consensus-based Plan.
- Provide capital and in-kind support for clearly-defined and phased tasks to help achieve near-term facility goals.
- Support any reasonable legislative efforts on the part of Ditto that would help with the realization of the consensus-based Plan. There are certain restrictions built into the enabling agreement that might need to be changed in order to fully realize the vision of the Master Plan.
- Conduct a public workshop to develop a master plan for all Ditto Landing property and the surrounding parcels.
- Improve vehicular access to the Ditto grounds.
- Improve and expand bike and greenway access to Ditto Landing. Develop Ditto as a “Greenway Hub”.
- Move camping facilities to more easily-maintained sites within the grounds, and expand camping offerings. Scale expansion to ensure feasibility.